Dilation & Curettage (D & C)
What is dilation & curettage?
Dilation & Curettage (D & C) procedures are one of the most common surgical procedures performed on women.
D & C involves placing an instrument called a speculum into the vagina to hold the vaginal canal open (dilation). A physician will then insert a curette (a metal loop on the end of a long thin handle) and gently scrape the inner layer of tissue (endometrium) for collection and examination. Anesthesia is administered around the cervix to minimize discomfort.
What kind of benefits does it provide?
Depending on a patient’s condition and health, dilation & curettage may be performed in a Dr. Bebla’s office or in a hospital. It is used to:
- Diagnose and/or treat abnormal uterine bleeding, including heavy or prolonged menstruation
- Diagnose and/or treat unexplained bleeding between periods
- Provide information regarding the presence of uterine cancer and in the removal of non-cancerous growths such as polyps
- Remove tissue after a miscarriage
- Remove an embedded intrauterine device
What are the risks?
D & C has few risks and patients may return to normal activities as soon as they feel better, often the same day.
Dilation & curettage in Modesto, California
Dr. Bebla may recommend dilation and curettage to patients in the Modesto area. As a skilled surgeon and urogynecologist, Dr. Bebla can also perform this important procedure. To learn more about D & C, give us a call at (209) 409-8513. To request an appointment, schedule online today!
*Individual results may vary; not a guarantee