Dilation & Curettage (D & C)
What is dilation & curettage?
Dilation & Curettage (D & C) procedures are one of the most common surgical procedures performed on women.
D & C involves placing an instrument called a speculum into the vagina to hold the vaginal canal open (dilation). A physician will then insert a curette (a metal loop on the end of a long thin handle) and gently scrape the inner layer of tissue (endometrium) for collection and examination. Anesthesia is administered around the cervix to minimize discomfort.*
What kind of benefits does it provide?
Depending on a patient’s condition and health, dilation & curettage may be performed in a Dr. Bebla’s office or in a hospital. It is used to:
- Diagnose and/or treat abnormal uterine bleeding, including heavy or prolonged menstruation
- Diagnose and/or treat unexplained bleeding between periods
- Provide information regarding the presence of uterine cancer and in the removal of non-cancerous growths such as polyps
- Remove tissue after a miscarriage
- Remove an embedded intrauterine device
What are the risks?
D & C has few risks and patients may return to normal activities as soon as they feel better, often the same day.*
Dilation & curettage in Modesto, California
Dr. Bebla may recommend dilation and curettage to patients in the Modesto area. As a skilled surgeon and urogynecologist, Dr. Bebla can also perform this important procedure. To learn more about D & C, give us a call at (209) 409-8513. To request an appointment, schedule online today!
*Individual results may vary; not a guarantee